Summer Internships 2017:
Send application to: email@example.com
Strategic Fundraising Team: Statistics, Marketing, Management, Finance, Operations Management, Web design, Video Production, Social Media, Grant Writing, Special Events, Donor Relations, and Public Relations.
Entering Junior and Senior year
Take part in an epic team, to help Craig’s Doors develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan for 2017. We are looking for inters who can work on individual projects and as a team. The team will work together with Program staff to evaluate past years fundraising activities, and set a plan for increasing donations in the coming year.
This team will have a 3 tier leadership structure.
- Management Intern
- Statistics, Marketing, Public Relations, Finance, Operations Management
- Web Design, Video Production, Social Media, Grant Writing, Special Events, Donor Relations
1. As a Management Intern, you would report directly to the Executive Director. You would be responsible for overseeing all tasks involved in the plan, and ensuring everyone is remaining on task. As a volunteer team manager, you will gain incredible experience leading others, facilitating conversation, re-directing bad ideas, working in non-profits, and helping others. You have the opportunity to also work with program staff and the Board of Directors. It will be your responsibility to translate the plan into a presentation for the Board of Directors.
2. Statistics, Marketing, Public Relations, Finance, Operations Management, and Management interns will work together to ensure the plan is successful, using each ones unique skills. Be prepared to take authority in your unique area, while also respecting the expertise of those on the team at all levels. This is an opportunity to grow in your experience by learning how others unique skills apply in your field.
Statistics: A fundraising plan should be based on facts, not assumptions. As a statistics intern, you will come up with quantitative and qualitative measurements to evaluate the success of the fundraising plan. As the plan begins to be implemented, you will oversee the use of your measurements, and put together reports to show the plans progress. You will gain experience working with google analytics, as well as the statistics generated by Facebook, twitter, and mail chimp. You will see how non-profits track donor giving. You will see statistics come alive as you work with the Marketing and Public Relations interns to improve performance.
Marketing: As a marketing intern you will focus on increasing the number of individual donors, and the $$ value of current donors. You will help expand event participation, online giving, and total number of donors through targeted marketing strategies.
Public Relations: Building a positive reputation is essential to raising funds. As a PR intern, your responsibility is to evaluate how aspects of the fundraising plan will affect the reputation of Craig’s Doors for our donors, our clients, the business district, students, and the town. Come with ideas on how to improve Craig’s Doors reputation.
Finance: Keep it real! All fundraising plans involve money. You will work directly with the Executive Director and the Bookkeeper to evaluate the cost of each idea, and forecast revenue. You will help develop a Fundraising and Development budget, as well as budgets for each fundraising project.
Operations Management: Use your skills as an observer and problem solver to oversee the fundraising plan. Does it make sense? Is it reasonable? Will it work? Your primary focus will be working with the event planning interns to ensure that the suggested events are planned in a logical way.
3. Tier three are the tasks specific internships. Each intern will work on their specific focus, while also adding value to the plan as a whole. The team consists of: Web Design, Video Production, Social Media, Grant Writing, Donor Relations, Special Events, .
Web design: The website is an important piece of a fundraising plan. As a web design intern, your responsibility will be to incorporate the web site into the fundraising plan. You will have the opportunity to work with Word Press, to design a mobile friendly website. Come with your own ideas!
Video Production: Expanding our audience to an online world requires the use of video! You will be responsible for designing video’s based on our PR, Marketing and overall fundraising plan. These video’s will be used on YouTube, Facebook, and our website. You will have the opportunity to direct, shoot, and produce videos during this time, but will also be responsible for writing video script ideas to be implemented by someone else in the fall. All content created for this internship belongs to Craig’s Doors, however you may end each video with information about yourself, and a website/LinkedIn/Facebook/etc.
Social Media: Use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, to create fresh content. Work with the PR and Marketing interns to create content that targets specific populations and expands our social base. You will have the opportunity to draft blog posts. This task will not be done exclusively behind a computer screen. You will meet program staff, Craig’s Doors board, current and former shelter guests, as well as individuals in our Rapid Rehousing program. Using template ideas provided by the PR and Marketing interns, as well as your own ideas, you will interview, photograph, and upload to the internet content that will inspire. The Statistics intern will help you to determine how likely your content is to increase followers.
Grant Writing: Going home for the summer? Want an internship that you can do from the privacy of your own bedroom? This grant writing internship is here for you! Take part in group meetings via video chat, and work from home on your tasks. Each week you will have specific writing and research tasks to answer.
Donor Relations: In this internship you learn what makes donors continue giving year after year, and what can encourage a donor to give more. You will design a system for easily thanking donors in a personalized way. You will work with the statistics intern to see if there are trends in our donor data that can help us to focus our outreach and prevent alienating or over soliciting our donor base.
Special Events: This is the fun part of a Fundraising Plan. Planning a major event is exciting, and there are many steps involved in the process. Each event requires an intern to coordinate, plan, prepare and pull off a fundraiser. Last year, Craig’s Doors had 2 fundraisers – Shelter Sunday (www.sheltersunday.org) on October 16th, and our Harvest Dinner on October 18th. To this, we are adding a road race in September, and a late Summer out door PR event.
You will be responsible for creating a time table to-do list for each of the fundraising events, as well as planning and designing, and running the summer PR event.